Friday, January 16, 2009

How I met NLP

My first exposure to NLP was with Renu and Sanjeev my trainers at In Quest Foundation. This company wanted to use psycho-spiritual methods to help people. It was my first ever formal job. 

I had just graduated from art college and had a degree in sculpture.  The only reason they took me in was my experience in training a large number of women in self defence. I had been at this for 2 years then. 

They offered me the mind boggling sum of Rs 24000 a month! For me that spelled the end of all my financial woes. And getting new knowledge for free! What could be better.

This is where I learned that there's something called N-L-P Neuro Linguistic Programming. 'We can use NLP to model anyone's behaviour and create it in anyone else including ourselves.' said Renu mysteriously. And then she and Sanjeev proceeded to teach us the basics of this crazy subject. Eye accessing cues, pacing, anchoring, rapport, sensory acuity, submodalities... it was a brave new world with endless possibilities.

Then i ran into a consultant to this company called Halasyam, this gentleman was part of a group called mind masters or something like that. Anyway they had all attended seminars by Richard Bandler himself when he had come to India. What I liked about Halasyam was his confidence. So I modeled it and anchored it.

When In Quest closed down due to poor planning and in-fighting 6 months later I moved on. I studied Anthony Robbins and his NAC... pardon me, but anyone know what the big difference is? But moving on... I went on to train several corporations, because they were the only ones who'd pay huge sums of money for 3 hours of training. It was fun, but i realised nobody used the concepts because they really didn't understand it the way I was explaining it. 

So I went on with my study. The good thing about NLP is that all you need is a human brain and sharp observation to discover new things and the ability to dive into trance. Being a brahmin boy I had a really good understanding of trance states anyway. All those bija mantras and sahasranamas induced some mysterious states, what I needed was the information on how to use these states and with Dr Richard Bandler's (one of the co-founders of NLP) books and tapes I found it!

Dr Bandler has created new fields called DHE and NHR which is basically NLP on steroids! All of which I lapped up greedily and began change work on myself. I had come a long way from the first day I had heard about N-L-P in February 2004. A lot had changed and the future never looked so good!

Today my understanding of NLP is quite functional and practical. I love to watch people change. I've taught these techniques to more than 14000 people and  watched them change into better people. Nothing like hearing about a little girl using NLP to induce a state of fear in her attacker.

I think NLP is a powerful tool, but many people do not understand how to use it properly. They are learning it academically and NLP is a practical science not a theoretical one.  Dr Richard Bandler noticed and discovered so many things about the human brain and neurology that we can fast-forward evolution in our lifetime, before our very eyes. He does not believe in slow change.

Someday i hope to meet him and get properly certified from the Richard Bandler society. I do not want to take credit for this great man's work and want to pay him  his due royalties or what ever they charge to be able to use his methods.

However everything i discuss here is due to my own understanding and application of the principles and techniques of NLP, DHE and NHR.

So, who do you want to be and what do you want to experience? You can talk to many people about this, but the best thing to do is to talk to your own unconscious mind!

It has a language, and that language, of symbols and feelings is what i'm going to explore and expound with this blog. I hope reading it will help you to make the changes you want to make effortlessly!

You see people resist change for 2 main reasons
1. the new state is something they don't know and therefore scary, because the biggest fear is that of the unknown
2. they  don't know how to make the change

Dr Bandler says 'if you give people a choice they'll make it'. Iwant to give people a choice, especially in my hometown of Bangalore. Subscribe to my blog and be the change :)

No comments:

Post a Comment